Nic White reveals five major benefits of single speed

5 Major Single Speed Benefits

single_speed_freewheelA single speed bike may be considered antiquated by some, but
Nic White, 2010 Momentum 94.7 Cycle Challenge winner and team manager of the Toyota Supercycling team, says riding one can benefit your geared bike riding. “I am now riding a single speed MTB on some of my rides and there are many benefits. Riding a single speed bike is really fun: one gear and a rigid fork just like we had when we were young and on BMX bikes!”

Single Speed Pros

1. Hassle-free maintenance issues
  2. No gear changes
  3. Cleaning is easier
  4. Wear and tear is negligible
  5. Improves your skills

“There has been a huge improvement in my strength since I started riding a single speed nearly a year ago,” says Nic. “Climbing is done on a bigger gear than I would choose with a geared option, forcing me to pedal, pedal, pedal! It gives me more confidence to know that I can ride more obstacles than I thought I could as well. My leg speed has improved greatly, as well as conserving speed when I need to on the faster, flatter bits. My riding line is also better, because I need to avoid rocks and obstacles with my rigid fork. This is improving my skill level and means I am always riding the cleanest, smoothest lines as fast as I can.

“A single speed takes finesse to ride well, no bulldozing over everything like our full-suspension cousins. Fitness and skill levels definitely improve when you choose the simple option,” concludes Nic.

“Just beware – single speed is addictive, once you ride the simple way, you may not want to go back!”

Originally published in the September/October 2012 issue.

Comments

Other articles posted in this period

3 Responses to Nic White reveals five major benefits of single speed

1. Stretch October 11, 2012 at 5:07 am #

Being an old bullet,I have an old FSR 26″ and want to convert to single speed – what is the best suitable gearing to start off with

2. nic October 11, 2012 at 7:43 am #

I would suggest a 32 x 15 to start with as a possible choice for a 26″ bike

3. Hugo October 14, 2012 at 9:45 am #

Riding MTB in Colorado I met a large group of Hardcore single speeders. they are the true MTB’ers – riding at altitude, very technical and c’riously steep climbs but overall only in it for the fun and challenge. Bike shops hated them as they are low maintenance but now support them as they represent the real MTB culture there.

About Go Multi

If you love fitness, the outdoors, good health, nutritious food, travelling to new and exciting destinations, then Go Multi is the magazine for you. Our slogan "Life's too short for one sport!" echoes what our readers already do or would like to learn to maximise their endurance, health, nutrition and longevity. We're a South African endurance fitness magazine with a global message: fitness is smart and health is the greatest wealth. Our articles and advertising partners help to educate, encourage, equip and enable our readers, subscribers and advertisers to maximise their lives through increased fitness, improved health, superior nutrition and best value for their money. We avoid producing or passing on empty commercial messages that don't contribute to their advancement. Our dedicated team produces and shares the very latest information for our readers to use in practical ways to enhance their daily lives. Everything we do, we do to produce better, fitter, longer and happier lives as well as giving our 100% to ensure our business is sustainable, ethical, fair and excellent in every respect.

3 Responses to Nic White reveals five major benefits of single speed