Mary-Ann Shearer is a plant-powered bestselling author and motivational speaker. She suffered with ill health for many years, resulting in a personal quest for a common-sense approach to health and well-being. Her intensive studies into nutrition and natural lifestyle over nearly 30 years, led her to develop a simple yet highly effective program that produced improved levels of health and vitality.
Read her insights in TRAIL magazine’s article Paleo vs Veggie in TRAIL issue 9, on shelves until the first week of March 2014. We also share the life-changing effects that Professor Tim Noakes has enjoyed with the Paleo Diet. The article looks at similarities and differences between the two approaches.
A plant based diet resulted in the following health changes:
- When I followed a diet of whole foods with animal protein which (was for most of my life, as I always had plenty fresh fruit, veg, animal products and no processed foods and little or no starch when I was on the Scarsdale/Atkins diet in the 70’s) I had very heavy menstrual periods with a lot of pain. I hate blood and pain so when I ate less animal protein and my period become lighter and less painful, I was motivated to eat even less animal protein and changed to a plant protein based diet and all bad symptoms disappeared.
- I have since discovered that if I consume animal products after menopause that I develop bad menopause symptoms, such as hot flashes, water retention, poor sleep and digestion to name a few.
- My cholesterol levels were over nine eating animal products, off them it is below five.
- When I found out that you need 20 times more water and other resources to produce 1 kg of animal protein compared to 1 kg of plant protein, I knew that as someone who cares about the world we live in and the way we treat our planet, I have no choice but to follow a plant based diet. To do anything else is simply selfish.
- When I found out how animals are treated in the process of growing and slaughtering animals for human consumption, I again, had no choice. I find it difficult to process that people who claim to love animals, eat meat.
- When I found out that animal protein is high in arachidonic acid, which causes inflammation, blood clots and increased blood pressure, I knew the only way to avoid arthritis and gout is to avoid animal products.
- We have not and a medical bill due to ill health for 27 years or being on a plant based diet and previously I was at the doctors at least once a week, with chronic allergic rhinitis, allergies, bleeding noses etc. and mental issues. So we are saving a lot of time and money and I am now sane!
You could say I will never eat animal products because I like feeling good, having energy, not being in pain, looking my best and not being broke. I am convinced this is the only way to not be a burden (physically and financially) on my kids and grand kids (and the state) as I get older.
by Mary-Ann Shearer
Visit Mary-Ann’s website for more information on plant based nutrition.