Seven Reasons Mary-Ann Shearer Avoids A Paleo Diet

Mary-Ann Shearer is a plant-powered bestselling author and motivational speaker. She suffered with ill health for many years, resulting in a personal quest for a common-sense approach to health and well-being. Her intensive studies into nutrition and natural lifestyle over nearly 30 years, led her to develop a simple yet highly effective program that produced improved levels of health and vitality.

Read her insights in TRAIL magazine’s article Paleo vs Veggie in TRAIL issue 9, on shelves until the first week of March 2014. We also share the life-changing effects that Professor Tim Noakes has enjoyed with the Paleo Diet. The article looks at similarities and differences between the two approaches.

paleo diet veggie vegan noakes shearer

A plant based diet resulted in the following health changes:

1. When I followed a diet of whole foods with animal protein which (was for most of my life, as I always had plenty fresh fruit, veg, animal products and no processed foods and little or no starch when I was on the Scarsdale/Atkins diet in the 70’s) I had very heavy menstrual periods with a lot of pain. I hate blood and pain so when I ate less animal protein and my period become lighter and less painful, I was motivated to eat even less animal protein and changed to a plant protein based diet and all bad symptoms disappeared.
  2. I have since discovered that if I consume animal products after menopause that I develop bad menopause symptoms, such as hot flashes, water retention, poor sleep and digestion to name a few.
  3. My cholesterol levels were over nine eating animal products, off them it is below five.
  4. When I found out that you need 20 times more water and other resources to produce 1 kg of animal protein compared to 1 kg of plant protein, I knew that as someone who cares about the world we live in and the way we treat our planet, I have no choice but to follow a plant based diet. To do anything else is simply selfish.
  5. When I found out how animals are treated in the process of growing and slaughtering animals for human consumption, I again, had no choice. I find it difficult to process that people who claim to love animals, eat meat.
  6. When I found out that animal protein is high in arachidonic acid, which causes inflammation, blood clots and increased blood pressure, I knew the only way to avoid arthritis and gout is to avoid animal products.
  7. We have not and a medical bill due to ill health for 27 years or being on a plant based diet and previously I was at the doctors at least once a week, with chronic allergic rhinitis, allergies, bleeding noses etc. and mental issues. So we are saving a lot of time and money and I am now sane!

You could say I will never eat animal products because I like feeling good, having energy, not being in pain, looking my best and not being broke. I am convinced this is the only way to not be a burden (physically and financially) on my kids and grand kids (and the state) as I get older.

by Mary-Ann Shearer

Visit Mary-Ann’s website for more information on plant based nutrition.

Read the full article in the latest TRAIL magazine in stores now, or online via Magzter and Zinio.

Comments

Other articles posted in this period

3 Responses to Seven Reasons Mary-Ann Shearer Avoids A Paleo Diet

1. Laurie January 17, 2014 at 1:06 pm #

Hi Mary-Ann!
    Great article thank you.
    How have you felt your sports performance is affected by going “Vegetarian”. In other words, your endurance and strength while training?

• Go Multi January 21, 2014 at 7:56 am #

Dear Laurie

I am a grandmother of 5 and never really been serious about any one particular sport, preferring to walk briskly.

However 2 years back, my husband (also vegan & 4 years older that me) decided to enter the Argus, we did no training other that do a 50-60 km ride to Stellenbosch and back where we attended a conference (so we had a 6 hour break!).

Our bikes are more than 20 years old and we had a ball, never cramped, completed in 7 & half hours and had not one stiff muscle the next day. Since then we have started Body Weight training, 3 times a week and running 3-4 km 1-2 times a day with a longer 10-12 km run once a week. We also swim 1-3 times a week. Both of us feel we have more strength and endurance than we had 30 years ago, when we became vegetarian (and 5 years ago vegan). I can tell you that we are fitter and stronger than most people half our age and get by on less sleep and less food!

Our diet is totally natural and whole and other than dehydrated Barley, Carrot and beet juice and a flax oil supplement, we take no vitamin or mineral combinations.

We also run/walk/cycle on grape juice with some aloe vera (Barbadensis plant) drinking gel.

Kind regards

Mary-Ann Shearer
      mas@naturalway.co.za

2. intensebb February 25, 2014 at 3:28 pm #

Hi Mary-Ann

Thank you for your article.

I would however ask that if someone like myself who do a Argus in under 3hrs would train or race on being a vegan only?

I think anyone who dont train much and has a bad diet can do the Argus in 7hrs and I know a lot of them and that dont feel it afterwards… Tim Noakes has a proven record of athletes doing his way of eating and achieving excellent Personal Bests on running, cycling and swimming for many years now.

I have found personally that if I eat more of a LCHF diet that my endurance and strength has increased and that i can train for much longer without having to eat and only use water for hydration.

There are big athletes like Mark Wolff of 32Gi who advocates only LCHF diets as he himself has been on this for many years.

I think that your way of eating is very natural and works and is definately something to look for. I have however found as soon as much more is expected from one body that this is not the absolute and cannot sustain hard training week in and week out.

If you could give examples of top athletes using your Natural way it would be appreciated as I only know off about 3 athletes in the world who achieve top results by being Vegan.

This will help me and others to make a decision on which way of eating to train on.

Peter

About Go Multi

If you love fitness, the outdoors, good health, nutritious food, travelling to new and exciting destinations, then Go Multi is the magazine for you. Our slogan "Life's too short for one sport!" echoes what our readers already do or would like to learn to maximise their endurance, health, nutrition and longevity. We're a South African endurance fitness magazine with a global message: fitness is smart and health is the greatest wealth. Our articles and advertising partners help to educate, encourage, equip and enable our readers, subscribers and advertisers to maximise their lives through increased fitness, improved health, superior nutrition and best value for their money. We avoid producing or passing on empty commercial messages that don't contribute to their advancement. Our dedicated team produces and shares the very latest information for our readers to use in practical ways to enhance their daily lives. Everything we do, we do to produce better, fitter, longer and happier lives as well as giving our 100% to ensure our business is sustainable, ethical, fair and excellent in every respect.

, , , , , , , , , , ,

3 Responses to Seven Reasons Mary-Ann Shearer Avoids A Paleo Diet

1. Laurie January 17, 2014 at 1:06 pm #

Hi Mary-Ann!
    Great article thank you.

• Go Multi January 21, 2014 at 7:56 am #

Dear Laurie

Kind regards

Mary-Ann Shearer
      mas@naturalway.co.za

2. intensebb February 25, 2014 at 3:28 pm #

Hi Mary-Ann

Thank you for your article.

Peter