Life-changing articles in TRAIL 9
What’s in Issue 9 of TRAIL, on shelves in January and February 2014?
- Imagine doing a 7,000km road trip through the vastness of Namibia and running at the most breathtaking spots. Like the idea? You’ll encounter leopard spoor and elephant, so fasten your seatbelt! Liesl Ravenscroft recounts her experience in her article Running in Space.
- World-renowned sports scientist Professor Tim Noakes and best-selling vegetarian whole foods author Mary-Ann Shearer debate the pros and cons of the low carbohydrate, high fat Paleo diet and contrast it with the vegetarian one.
- Don’t you just loathe those nights when you go to bed and a switch in your brain somehow stays on? Glenn Macnamara highlights the causes and potential solutions for the dread of insomnia. An excellent read.
- Deon Braun faces the mountain demon at the storm-decimated Salomon Skyrun 2013, and lives to tell the tale. The race in the exposed Witteberg goes down in the history books as one of the most extreme and controversial trail runs in South African history.
- We feature tips from Ryno Griesel to secure those irritatingly loose backpack straps.
- Pumpkin is the food of choice this issue – and for good reason. Bianca Harper shares some great recipes for this versatile and super-nutritious vegetable.
- Kickstart 2014 and make it a year of personal bests with our tips on planning your event calendar, preparation, training and racing.
- Are you excited for 2014’s RETTO African Trail Run yet? Acrophobiac Reon van Rensburg, world champion Ricky Lightfoot and Parkinson’s sufferer Alex Flynn recall their epic African Otter Trail experience.
- Equipment is an important part of making the offroad experience an enjoyable one. This issue features a 6-page shoe guide including 16 of some of the most purchased trail shoes in South Africa today. Brands include The North Face, Brooks, Inov-8, New Balance, Vivobarefoot and Saucony.
- We dedicate six pages to Namaqua Quest 2013. 120km covered in four days through mist, rain, sleet, snow and blizzards. An event to test your physical and mental abilities.
- Product tests include a shootout between Garmin’s new Virb camera and the GoPro Hero 3+, an evaluation of Capestorm trail tees and more.
- Book and DVD Reviews: Matt Fitzgerald’s new book ‘The Mind-Body Method of Running by Feel’, Boff Whalley’s ‘Run Wild’, as well as the short film depicting the 2013 African Otter Trail Run.
- SA’s most up-to-date trail running calendar with 47 events until the end of March 2014 includes information relating to difficulty.
TRAIL magazine became South Africa’s first print publication dedicated to the booming worldwide activity of trail running in December 2011.
Since then it has enlightened its growing readership with the best places to run, the most suitable gear and the most popular trail running events from every angle; visiting the Himalayas, Sahara Desert, Amazon and many local trails, including the famed Otter Trail Run and the arduous Skyrun.
Buy and subscribe to TRAIL
Currently a quarterly (in 2013), TRAIL retails for R39.95 (print) and R25 (digital special rate) and is available in one and two-year subscriptions (R130 for a year/four issues). TRAIL is available at CNA, SPAR, Exclusive Books, Sportsman’s Warehouse, selected Dis-Chem stores and specialist sports retailers nationwide. Sign up for a year’s print subscription to TRAIL magazine and save R30 on cover price. Pay R32.50 per mag instead of R40.
The digital version is available at Zinio.com download for iPad, Android, iPhone, laptop and desktop devices at R25 for single copies and R130 for four issues (one year), TRAIL is also available through Magzter and Apple Newsstand (Jan 2014).
Contact us for further information:
Editorial submissions and letters (Bronwyn Sheppard) firstname.lastname@example.org
Subscriptions (Michael Campbell) email@example.com
Advertising (Deon Braun) firstname.lastname@example.org
Marketing, Strategic Alliances (Deon Braun) email@example.com
Dedicated website coming soon.
Alternatively, be part of the movement with an annual subscription to TRAIL magazine. Or subscribe to the digital version at Zinio.com – hit the red button now! Subscriptions will start from the current available issue.
When you subscribe to the digital issue you get:
- A year of the mag (4 issues a year. Available locally or internationally)
- Digital edition for iPad, Android and more at www.zinio.com – four-issue subscription or single issue.