On the cover of TRAIL magazine issue 11 is an icon of mountain running and adventure racing.
Years in the planning, Ryno Griesel teamed up with fellow Salomon athlete Ryan Sandes in March to set a new FKT (fastest known time) for the Drakensberg Grand Traverse, an unsupported mountain run over approximately 220km of rugged Drakensberg terrain, coming close to dipping under 40 hours. The event garnered international attention and was heavily covered by Red Bull’s media channels.
Read TRAIL’s interview with the amiable, thoughtful strategist for his insights into the outdoor life and his motivations to push his limits. He shares what has inspired him over the years and why he recently changed his life’s path to follow his dreams.
You can read his pre-Drakensberg Grand Traverse interview here.
The cover was photographed by top South African outdoor adventure photographer Kelvin Trautman in the narrowest of good lighting windows a day before their quest began.
For trail runners nationwide and digital subscribers worldwide, TRAIL 11 is the perfect winter blues antidote and ever-present companion (in print and digital) to inspire and motivate anyone with a love for adventure to be the very best they can.
TRAIL magazine issue 11 is on shelves countrywide (Spar, CNA, Pick n Pay, Dis-Chem, Sportsmans Warehouse).
Subscribe to the print magazine and you’ll get three useful additional products. (See below. Subscriptions are now handled by RNA Distribution).
Check out what’s in issue 11:
- Your photo adventures showcases inspiring imagery from readers’ latest offroad capers, involving yoga tree poses, superheroes and dodging with death.
- Letters from trail enthusiasts Juan Lombaard, Burgert Maree, Stephen Brown and Suyen Thornhill.
- “I knew I was #hookedontrailrunning when…” (and it gets weird from here).
- Run the super-tough but oh so beautiful Hout Bay Trail Challenge route in Cape Town with photo-journalist Jacques Marais.
- The debut Molweni Trail Run proved a lot tougher than anyone expected and we have the photos and runner quotes to prove it.
- Choose from over 80 great events listed, with their latest details confirmed with organisers.
- Win a TomTom Runner GPS watch worth over R2,000 by doing TRAIL’s Reader Survey. Competition closes 30 June 2014.
- What you need to do to run a faster second half, with Coach Mauritz Jansen van Rensburg.
- Four lacing techniques with sport scientist Ryan Hodierne.
- Cut yourself some slack says life coach and ultra runner Sue Fuller-Good.
- Cold killer: winter tales from Mark Collins and others.
- Foot care 101 by foot care guru John Vonhof.
- Learn the benefits and technique to do downward dog with yogi Helen Weaver.
- Injured again? It could be your big toe. Exercises to strengthen it with chiropractor Dr Grant Harper.
- No single diet is perfect, says exercise physiologist, nutritional therapist, NLP practitioner and endurance coach Ian Craig.
- Hemp: looks illegal, let’s eat and drink it!
- Years in the planning. Ryno Griesel took on the Drakensberg Grand Traverse with Ryan Sandes and set a new FKT of close to 40 hours. Read the article for his insights into the outdoor life and motivations to do what he does (Read his pre-Drakensberg Grand Traverse interview here).
- Shoe Show: 11 models from Brooks, Mizuno, Reebok, Salomon and Saucony including expert fitting advice.
- Winter Guide: 12 warm clothing solutions, layering tips.
- Tests: two multi-vitamin supplements from Nativa, stunning Good Green Stuff from plant-based NuZest in New Zealand and preventing chafing with FiT Laboratories’ Chamois Cream.
- Nine must-read books from Exclusive Books including the excellent The Cool Impossible by Eric Orton.
- Cut yourself some slack with lifestyle expert Sue Fuller-Good
- Kevin Light visits Barcelona for a little 42km road race and goes Gaudi gaga.
Since then it has enlightened its growing readership with the best places to run, the most suitable gear and the most popular trail running events from every angle; visiting the Himalayas, Sahara Desert, Amazon and many local trails, including the famed Otter African Trail Run and the arduous Skyrun.
Buy or subscribe to TRAIL
TRAIL retails for R45 (print) and R30 (digital special rate) and is available in one and two-year subscriptions (R195 for six issues, one year).
When you subscribe in May and June you’ll get:
- A 32Gi Foodbar worth R25.
- A Dirty Boots Adventure guide. The 164 page book features over 100 exciting experiences.
- A Why We Run DVD, produced by Salomon, featuring author Bernard Heinrich and pro athlete Rickey Gates.
- If you subscribe before 30 June and you complete the TomTom reader survey to win a TomTom Runner GPS sports watch worth over R2200, you will automatically be entered into the competition for a second time.
So where do you find TRAIL? SA’s first trail running magazine is available at CNA, SPAR, Pick n Pay, Exclusive Books, Sportsmans Warehouse, selected Dis-Chem stores and specialist sports retailers nationwide. Sign up for a year’s print subscription to TRAIL magazine and save R75 on cover price. Pay R32.50 per mag instead of R45. And get the benefits above. It’s a no-brainer.
The digital version is available at Zinio for iPad, Android, iPhone, laptop and desktop devices in single issue and six issue subscriptions.
Contact us for further information:
Editorial submissions and letters firstname.lastname@example.org
Subscriptions (handled by RNA Distribution in Johannesburg)
Advertising (Deon Braun) email@example.com
Download TRAIL magazine print rates card PDF
- Pick n Pay (NEW: 150 stores)
- Dis-Chem (selected)
- Exclusive Books
- Sportsmans Warehouse
- Petrol stations (BP, Caltex, Sasol)
- Runner Group
- Specialist running, multisport and outdoor stores
When you subscribe to the digital issue you get:
- A year of the mag (six issues a year. Available locally or internationally)
- Digital edition for iPad, Android and more at www.zinio.com – six-issue subscription or single issue.
Download TRAIL magazine print rates card PDF.
Download TRAIL ad sizing booklet.