TRAIL magazine issue 13 is on shelves countrywide from Monday 24 November.
It is a bumper issue, packed with expert trail running advice from over 40 trail mavens, and compelling content from dozens of readers.
The Beginner 101 section gets newbies up to speed for the sunny season, including advice on deciding how many trail shoes are recommended, which snacks to pack, planning your event taper, getting enough sleep, the rituals before, and aches after an event.
Some of the advice comes from colourful Lizzy Strauss, who exhorts: “Don’t be an idiot. Tapering is essential!”
And Ghaleed Nortje offers less conventional wisdom: “I don’t wash my feet the day before and morning of a run. I’ve never had any blisters while running in shoes.”
Even if you aren’t a beginner, you’re going to learn something!
Check out what’s in store for TRAIL 13:
- Your photo adventures. Win a Canon S200 compact digital wi-fi camera, which shoots HD video when you send us your trail running happy snaps.
- Letters from legends – TRAIL readers share some amazing stories
- Your #ToughTrailRuns tweets alert fellow trail runners where to head for some masochistic singletrack
- Share a tale of survival with Nicholas Nicholle plummeting 15m down Table Mountain.
- Taper for the big race with Coach Mo aka Mauritz van Rensburg!
- Use your heart, feet, eat, beat and bums to tackle climbing with Table Montain Challenge winner, Christiaan Greyling
- Hip hinge correctly to run strong and avoid injury, says trainer Peri Zourides
- Posture is life. Fix yours with chiropractor Grant Harper
- Cut yourself slack and silence your inner dictator with Sue Fuller-Good
- Release your hips, and get out of your comfort zone with yoga, beseeches Helen Weaver
- Beat blisters: treat your feet before they bubble
- Embrace your first race with event winners
- Beginner boosters: from summer gear to the aches after a marathon, 12 experts give advice to fast-track your running.
- Nutrient-packed moringa smoothie made by raw foodie Bianca Harper
- Eat faster food that will prevent The Wall from reducing you to a walk, with nutritionist Lucy Etherton
Places to run
A team of trail runners find you six spots for holiday running in Gauteng, KZN, and the Western Cape:
- Groenkloof Nature Reserve
- Alberts Farm
- Clearwater Trails
- Paradise Valley Nature Reserve
- Newlands Forest
- Lion’s Head and Signal Hill
- Eight-year-old CJ Coetzee is already a trail blazer
- David Barnard runs 250km in Antarctica for solar power funds
- Ryan Sandes marries his best friend
- MadRun for smiles: seven teams run Table Mountain for seven days to fund surgery for 20 children afflicted with cleft palates.
- Landie Greyling shares travel tips to and from international events
- Fred Richardson opens the Mindful Runner store in Johannesburg
- Andrew Erasmus: running the Berg for the love of it, sometimes getting lost, but always smiling.
- Awesome apparel? We got it, with 16 great active clothing options
- Superb shoes… six models you’re bound to love
- Hydration heroes – check out eight popular models
- Electric dreams of GPS, Heart Rate Monitors, some even strapless!
- Six insightful books reviewed: Slackpacking by Fiona McIntosh, Extreme Running by Kym McConnell and Dave Horsley, Trail and Mountain Running by Sarah Rowell and Wendy Dodds, Nutrition for Runners by Jeff Galloway with Nancy Clark, More Top MTB Trails by Jacques Marais, and Your Bucket List by Patrick Cruywagen
- Win one of two pairs of Brooks’ acclaimed PureGrit 3 trail shoes
- Plan your nomadic adventure with team Eat.Run.See: Saffas Bev and Richard Attfield
- Capetonian in exile, Ian Little, examines FKT (Fastest Known Time) as a burgeoning phenomenon.
- Pursuing Paradox: embrace life’s contrast and contradiction with Kevin Light and his apt anecdotes
- Namaqua Quest
- FEAT (Fascinating Expedition and Adventure Talks)
- Rhino Run
- Cederberg Traverse
- The MUTTER (Mountain Mania Ultra Trail Run)
- Ultra-Trail® Cape Town
- Mont-aux-Sources Challenge
- Kalahari Augrabies Extreme Marathon
- Grand Raid
- Jungle Marathon
- Atacama Crossing
- Himalayan 100 Mile Stage Race
- Otter African Trail Run feature
- Calendar: 42 great trail running events listed!
TRAIL magazine became South Africa’s first print publication dedicated to the booming worldwide activity of trail running in December 2011.
Since then it has enlightened its growing readership with the best places to run, the most suitable gear and the most popular trail running events from every angle; visiting the Himalayas, Sahara Desert, Amazon and many local trails, including the famed Otter African Trail Run and the arduous Skyrun.
So where do you find TRAIL? SA’s first trail running magazine is available at CNA, SPAR, Pick n Pay, Exclusive Books, Sportsmans Warehouse, selected Dis-Chem stores and specialist sports retailers nationwide. Sign up for a year’s print subscription to TRAIL magazine and save R75 on cover price. Pay R32.50 per mag instead of R45. And get the benefits above. It’s a no-brainer.
The digital version is available at Zinio for iPad, Android, iPhone, laptop and desktop devices in single issue and six issue subscriptions.
Contact us for further information:
Editorial submissions and letters firstname.lastname@example.org
Subscriptions (handled by RNA Distribution in Johannesburg)
Advertising (Deon Braun) email@example.com
Download TRAIL magazine print rates card PDF
- Pick n Pay
- Exclusive Books
- Sportsmans Warehouse
- Petrol stations (BP, Caltex, Sasol)
- Runner Group
- Specialist running, multisport and outdoor stores
When you subscribe to the digital issue you get:
- A year of the mag (six issues a year. Available locally or internationally)
- Digital edition for iPad, Android and more at www.zinio.com – six-issue subscription or single issue.
- TRAIL mag print subscription
Download TRAIL magazine print rates card PDF.
Download TRAIL ad sizing booklet.