The eight Team South Africa athletes participating in the IAU Trail World Champs in France on Saturday can be proud of their results on the gruelling 85km mountain course. With 5,300m of vertical elevation gain, the runners knew going in that this race would be anything other than easy.
K-Way athletes AJ Calitz and Nicolette Griffioen ran strong from the start to hold onto their positions and maintain consistent splits as they passed through the checkpoints on the course. At 28th and 24 positions respectively, Calitz and Griffioen were the highest placed male and female athletes in the South African team.
“This was the toughest race I have ever done. I learned what a true mountain is today,” said 22-year old Griffioen shortly after finishing.
“I had an average first half and felt better in the second. And just as well because it was a killer! I’m very happy with this result from my first European race,” she added.
OVERALL RACE RESULTS
1. Sylvain COURT 8:15:45 (FRA)
2. Luis Alberto HERNANDO 8:19:05 (ESP)
3. Patrick BRINGER 8:21:45 (FRA)
1. Nathalie MAUCLAIR 9:30:59 (FRA)
2. Caroline CHAVEROT 9:33:21 (FRA)
3. Maite Maiora ELIZONDO 9:39:36 (ESP)
TEAM SOUTH AFRICA RESULTS
28. Andre ‘AJ’ CALITZ 9:42:00
56. Iain DON-WAUCHOPE 10:15:43
59. Jock GREEN 10:16:36
71. Eric NGUBANE 10:37:24
82. Graeme MCCALLUM 10:54:15
24. Nicolette GRIFFIOEN 11:28:57
63. Chantel NIENABER 13:39:51
DNF. Su DON-WAUCHOPE
More on the event’s Facebook page
More photos from the race