Drakensberg Mountain Camp 2018
Develop your trail running skills, speed, and stamina, while experiencing seemingly endless singletrack trails, wildlife, scenery, and making new friends at TRAIL magazine’s Trail Camps, the next of which is our Mountain Camp in the central Drakensberg from 13-15 April 2018.
Camp groups are small and intimate to maximise attention given to you.
We spoil you with nutritious food and comfy, unpretentious accommodation at Clearbrook Cottage on 700ha Riverlea Farm on the outskirts of Underberg village in KwaZulu-Natal.
We coach you to make tweaks that could provide you big gains in your running. We also take photos of you out on the trail, which will be yours to share afterwards.
Scroll down for more of the goodies you’ll get.
We’ll meet you at Clearbrook Cottage on Riverlea Farm on Friday afternoon (arrive anytime after 2pm).
- From Durban, it’s 209km and 2h30min hours to Underberg, and approx another 7km to Clearbrook.
- From Johannesburg, it’s 584km and 5h53min on the N3.
Check out our Facebook event page.
Not ready yet, but keen for future Camps? Then indicate your interest by adding yourself to our mailing list.
Mountain Camp details
Shared room at peaceful Riverlea Farm’s Clearbrook Cottage outside Underberg. Transport is shared to the trailhead and return to the cottage each day. Food is provided at the cottage. Self-catered option also available.
Directions to Riverlea Farm:
- Turn off the Johannesburg to Durban N3 highway (20km before reaching Pietermaritzburg, on the Johannesburg side) at the Southern Drakensberg/Underberg sign.
- Follow the tarred R617 road for 110km to Underberg. Pass straight through Underberg and travel for a further 3km.
- Cross over the Umzimkulu River and 500m further on turn right at the Bushman’s Nek sign, onto the only gravel stretch of the journey (approximately 4km of dirt in total).
- Drive for 2km and turn right at the D199 sign. Continue for 500m, and turn right at the Clearbrook Cottage sign, keeping the wire fence on your right. The cottage is approximately another 1km distant, on the other side of a stone wall. Welcome to the Trail Camp HQ!
Single: R3,395 catered or R2,500 self-catered
Double: R6,495 catered or R4,795 self-catered
- coaching from experienced trail runners,
- welcome drink/snacks,
- gate entries to our runs at Cobham and Rhino Peak,
- ingredients for classes to learn to make your own run snacks,
- breakfast (Sat/Sun),
- lunch (Fri/Sat/Sun),
- supper (Fri/Sat),
- three back issues of TRAIL magazine,
- healthy smoothies after runs,
- Juice samples to take home,
- Dirty Boots Adventure Guide,
- First Aid for Snakebite book.
These rates exclude your personal travel to and from the venue (and starts each day, if you choose to use your own vehicle.)
- Meet at Clearbrook Cottage on Riverlea Farm on Friday 13 August (from 2pm).
- Depart from Riverlea after lunch on Sunday 15 August 2018.
Underberg/Himeville and surrounds.
Although it’s in the proximity of Sani Pass, the Camp does not go into Lesotho. Distances at the 2017 Camp were 21km on Day 1 and 26km on Day 2 (excluding a 6km night run), so count on similar for this Camp.
There will be a 4-6km night run on Saturday evening as well, unless it’s raining and the group consensus is not to run. So you’ll do a total of three runs, with a total of nearly 50km covered.
The big day is the ascent to Rhino Peak (altitude 3,050m) on Sunday. Distance is around 26km. It’s a beast, and you’ll be blown away by the variety of terrain and challenges it throws at you. The singletrack downhills on the way back are whoop-whoop-whoop! amazing.
Abilities catered for
Fit, reasonably experienced trail runners who want to raise their game.
A detailed survey will be provided for each runner to complete before taking part.
Our aim: to develop your skills, and improve any weaknesses you feel are holding you back.
Wholefood plant-based eating for optimal energy and nutrition, based on the latest scientific findings, is our main focus. All run meals we provide are 100% plant-based. Only applies if you choose the catered option.
More at trailcamps.co.za
This quality event is covered by a 100% money back guarantee, should you attend and not be satisfied with your experience. You may substitute your place for a friend’s should you not be able to attend at the last minute. Get 50% of your money back should you cancel in the final month before the Camp. No refunds in the last 48 hours before the Camp.
TRAIL Camps will follow in the Western Cape and Gauteng if we have sufficient interest. Add your name and region to our mailing list for all future camps.
We look forward to running with you in the mountains!
Comments« Back to Events