TRAIL magazine issue 30 is available now!
The digital magazine format is a replica of the print version, and available on your iPad, tablet, desktop, laptop, and smartphone.
Platforms: Android, Mac and Windows tablets, smartphones, laptops and desktops (Mac & PC) through those channels, or downloadable on this page as a PDF.
- Android View latest issue now
- Apple View latest issue now
- Magzter View latest issue now
- Zinio View latest issue now
What’s in TRAIL 30?
Get the most out of your run career with TRAIL 30. Stay strong even as you age, use your heart rate to guide your intensity, benefit from cryotherapy to recover, know when to opt out of a run for long-term gains, and shop through our nine-page Summer Gear Guide. On shelves from 18 December 2018 to 30 March 2019.
Get strong, healed up, and ready for summer, with TRAIL 30!
Discover how to reduce injury with cryotherapy, discover what your biokineticist wishes you knew, use your heart rate to guide training, and choose from over 90 South African trail running events in our calendar. TRAIL 30 will have you inspired, strong, and ready to run far!
You’ll find a weightless Chantel Nienaber on the cover, the image captured by her son Lucas.
Join our engaging community and read on to find out what’s in TRAIL 30…
- Take a peek into the lives of other trail runners in our reader photos section, with action shots all over South Africa.
- Read May Scholtz’s letter about a trail angel she encountered during a stage race. Our letter writers are rewarded with Feetures socks for their efforts.
- In this issue’s TrailTalk, listen in on the debate around race mementos: medal, shirt, or nothing?
- We showcase seven films already entered into the Trail Film Awards.
- TRAIL 30 has a colourful nine-page Summer Gear Guide, packed with 34 products! We feature a selection from Balega, Biogen, Bottleshower, Brooks, BWT, Enduren Nutrition, Falke, Feetures, First Ascent, Fuelbelt, Hi-Tec, Hoka One One, Julbo, La Sportiva, Lifestraw, Osprey, Pekant, Rugani, Salomon, Saucony, Squirrel’s Nut Butter, and trailhead.
- Figure out the maximalist shoe trend with expert Grant Bryant of RUN Specialist Store.
- We found five weekend escapes from around SA that will give you a chance to run, play, and bond with family in tow.
- Catch up with South Africans running across the globe: nine Saffers racing Grand Raid de la Réunion, Shafeeqah Gordon and Brendan Lombard in Turkey, Linda Doke and Stephen Granger racing in the Indian Himalayas, and Warren King exploring Vietnam.
- Super-traveller Anouk Baars shares her adventurous manifesto.
- The fast five, Ayanda Shabalala, Kwenza Ngubane, Mlungisi Mazibuko, Mthobisi Mzolo, and Perfect Dlamini, get help from NPO the Gijima Trust to compete nationally.
- Get to know rock rabbit Nina Durieux: the races she organises, her race goal, and her unique run kit.
- Find out who won our 2018 Trail Awards! Categories include: Most Vertical Ascent, Best Trail Dog, Most Outrageous Socks, Most Valuable Community Member, Best Trail Selfie, Most Hardcore War Wound, and Best Run Venue.
- Cover athlete Chantel Nienaber opens up. She started as an artist, and has ended up on the podium! Find out more about being the primary bread-winner for her family, raising money for charity, and making the transition from sculptor to athlete.
- Have you ever seen a mountain range and wanted to experience it, end to end? Damien Schumann had the urge to see the Cape Fold Mountains and traversed over 1,100km of it!
- With Coach Neville‘s guidance you can try to beat your chronological age by slowing your biological ageing, to keep running well for as many years as possible!
- How do you know when it’s better to stop than to push through? Coach Ian Waddell explains when to opt out of a training run, elite Salomon athlete Ryan Sandes gives advice on when and if to withdraw from a race, and trail walker Chrissie Jeffrey shares her journey from runner to walker.
- Use this deep, icy, salty bath to recover and prevent injury! Altie Clark explains how cryotherapy can help you.
- Maintain your cardiovascular fitness, conditioning, and morale! Coach Nico Sterk of Sterk Span Coaching Academy shows you how to use aqua running while injured.
- Coach Elsabé Hunter provides three strength exercises for your large muscle groups in part three of her strength training for runners series!
- Your biokineticist wishes you would clench, stretch, and squat your way to being an in-tune runner! Anca Wessels explains how.
“How do I keep my heart rate down when I run up hills?” Sean Tait of Off the Mark training gives a detailed answer to this question, including conditioning, intensity zones, and knowing when to take it easy.
- Conquer your chocolate cravings the healthy way! Leozette Roode knows the benefits of cocoa (and cacao) in our diets, but there are better ways to eat it than a chocolate bar or cake.
- Treat yourself to easy chocolate mousse with five ingredients and a stick blender!
- Make Leozette‘s healthy cocoa nut granola – breakfast or indulgent trail mix.
- What should you watch out for when selecting foods? How acidic or alkaline it is shouldn’t be a factor! Dietician Stephanie Joyner unmasks the alkaline diet myth.
- We look back at some of the bigger trail races that have taken place in South Africa, including Karkloof100, Uitsoek Mountain Marathon, Golden Gate Challenge, Harrismith Mountain Race, Kalahari Augrabies Extreme Marathon, Hex Skyrun, our own Cape Trail Clinic, Dumbe Trail Run, SkyRun, Stagger Trail, and the Grail of Trail: Otter African Trail Run.
- There are over 90 events lined up from January to May 2019 from across South Africa. Get the details and start lining them up with the help of our online calendar!
- Mina Guli is on a mission to run 100 marathons in 100 days, for the sake of liquid gold: water.
- Find 25 sneaky words for palm oil, learn about the SANParks and MTO Forestry initiative to turn invasive trees into school desks, and find out how road races can cut out the water sachets, in our Green Shorts.
TRAIL magazine became South Africa’s first print publication dedicated to the booming worldwide activity of trail running in December 2011.
Since then the mag continues to enlighten its growing readership with the best places to run, the most suitable gear and the most popular trail running events from every angle; visiting the Himalayas, Sahara Desert, Amazon, and many local trails, including the famed Otter African Trail Run, Ultra-trail Cape Town, and the K-Way SkyRun.
TRAIL retails for R58 (print) and is available at CNA, SPAR, Pick n Pay, Exclusive Books, Sportsmans Warehouse, Outdoor Warehouse stores, and specialist sports retailers nationwide.
The digital version is available at Zinio for iPad, Android, iPhone, laptop and desktop devices in single issue and six issue subscriptions. TRAIL 30 is also available through Apple Newsstand, Google Play, and Magzter.
Issue 30 was mailed to print subscribers on Friday 14 December 2018, from Cape Town.
Available in stores from Tuesday 18 December.
Digital subscribers got their copies on Friday 14 December.