TRAIL magazine issue 28 is available now!
The digital magazine format is a replica of the print version, and available on your iPad, tablet, desktop, laptop, and smartphone.
Platforms: Android, Mac and Windows tablets, smartphones, laptops and desktops (Mac & PC) through those channels, or downloadable on this page as a PDF.
- Android View latest issue now
- Apple View latest issue now
- Magzter View latest issue now
- Zinio View latest issue now
What’s in TRAIL 28?
- Make the most of every run with latest issue TRAIL 28. Run smart while having fun and staying strong, run with dogs, relive adventure in the Grand Canyon, end your shin splint suffering, bake up a storm with black beans, and use martial arts to get stronger and faster even when you’re not running. Scroll through our content to find winter gear for your extreme trail running needs, that fits your body and your pocket. Get to know cover athlete and endurance junkie Nicky Booyens. TRAIL 28 went on sale from 25 June 2018.
Have fun and run strong with TRAIL 28!
Get back your fitness, strengthen your running posture, learn while you trot with five historic trails, and choose from over 90 local and international events in our calendar. TRAIL 28 will have you confident and care-free as you tackle your next challenge.
You’ll find a smiling Nicky ‘Turbo Mamba’ Booyens on the cover, shot by Sven Musica of Phonix Capture.
Make the most of your time on the trails and read on to find out what’s in TRAIL 28…
What else is waiting inside TRAIL 28?
- Take a peek into the lives of other trail runners in our reader photos section, with action shots all over South Africa.
- Read Terblanche Fourie’s letter about warming up to the trail community. Terblanche and three more letter writers are rewarded with Feetures socks for their trouble.
- There’s no time like your first time. In this issue’s TrailTalk, hear about fellow readers’ first ever trail runs.
- We launch the Trail Film Awards where you can submit a running video and win prizes!
- TRAIL 28 has a glorious nine-page Autumn guide, packed with 35 products! We feature a selection from Aonijie, B4 Play, Balega, Biogen, Brooks, BUFF, Compressport, Dr Cool, Enduren, FALKE, Feetures, First Ascent, Hi-Tec, Hoka One One, Hydro Flask, K-Way, La Sportiva, NiteCore, Pekant, Rugani, Salomon, Saucony, Science in Sport, Suunto, Trailnuggets, trailhead, TriggerPoint, UCAN, and weRUN.
- Get advice from Grant Bryant of RUN Specialist Store on what your heel-toe-drop really is, and how it should affect your shoe choice.
- We found five epic trails with historic significance from around SA that will make you feel even more attached to our country’s people, past and present.
- Catch up with South Africans racing across the globe: Gaven Sinclair running arcoss Mozambique, Botswana, and Namibia, Stewart Chaperon, Naomi Brand, Annalise Scholtz, Kane Reilly, Christiaan Greyling, and Meg Mackenzie
in Spain, Anouk Baars, Mike Nash, and Ryan Sandes in La Palma, Canary Islands, Lucky Miya in France, and Karen Jennings crossing the Grand Canyon in Colorado, USA.
- Smiling speedster Neil ‘Skippy’ Claassens shares his motivational manifesto.
- Get to know ‘Spinnekop’ 10-year-old Dieneke Beukes who is a firm fixture on Gauteng’s 5km trail podiums.
- What could be better than running for a good cause? Elite Salomon athlete and running coach Nic de Beer teams up with friends to race as Goldilocks and the Bear, raising funds for underprivileged children with learning disabilities.
- TRAIL’s associate editor Heloise Hunter met two Sandys on a trail run. They share more than a name. Discover their mutual struggle and triumph.
- Taking on 4,00km through four countries, Gaven Sinclair ran the #LongestTrailRun to raise funds and awareness for Missing Children SA.
- Cover athlete Nicky Booyens, known for her small stature, big smile, and even bigger endurance challenges, opens up about her family, dogs, and passions.
- Trail running can heal. Find out how our sport has played a role in Stuart Cole‘s recovery from addiction in our TrailTalk section.
- Have you lost fitness while injured, pregnant, or on holiday? Coach Neville explains how to rebuild and recover the smart way!
- Running with your four-legged-friend requires specific gear, and training. Elite athlete and vet-in-training Nicolette Griffioen explains how to get the best out of your trail dog in Part One of our Doggy Running article.
- If you err to the extreme of happy-go-lucky runner (who is sometimes late and always forgets something) or analytical athlete (who can get a little hung up on the details), life coach Marie Snyman-Jacobs shows how to find balance.
- Some of us are prone to painful shin splints. Find out what you’re doing wrong and how to fix it with physiotherapist Dawn Nunes.
- Take your fast-twitch muscles and physical strength to the next level with martial arts. Kickboxer and Muay Thai fighter Ashley William Robinson has has been cleaning up local trail podiums too. Find out how his fighting background has helped his run performance, and how you can fight to be fit!
- “I’d like to be brave and give self-coaching a try. Is it realistic to think that a runner who is serious about improving can do so through self-coaching without a coaching qualification? Or is that a stupid idea and should I just get a coach?”
Sean Tait of Off the Mark training gives a detailed answer to this question, including a flow diagram to help you figure out if you’re coachable or not.
- You produce 1% less per year after age 20, but this protein helps keep you together – skin and bones! Learn how to maximise your collagen through diet with Bianca Harper of Health on Broadway.
- Treat yourself to Emelie Forsberg’s bean and lentil veggie burgers with as a meal or trail fuel. We share her recipe from her new book, Sky Runner.
- Make black bean brownies for long runs or an anytime snack, with Zissy Lewin‘s recipe.
- Research the link between eggs, bacteria, and cancer with Dr Michael Greger.
- If you’re allergic to eggs, don’t consume animal products, or want to avoid the health risks, try our egg substitutes when you cook and bake.
- Get in deep with types of carbohydrates and how to fuel with them. Registered dietitians Rowena Visagie, Keri Strachan, and Kerryn Moolenschot weigh in.
- We look back at some of the bigger trail races that have taken place in South Africa, including Ultra-Trail Drakensberg, The Munga, Cableway Charity Challenge, Outeniqua Quest, Merrell Hobbit, Giant’s Cup, The Oxpecker, Great Zuurberg Trail Run, and AfricanX.
- There are over 90 events lined up from July to September 2018 from across South Africa, and internationally. Get the details and start lining them up with the help of our online calendar!
- Local seismic surveys are messing with our ocean life. Put the planet before oil.
- Greenpop helps rebuild what we lost in the Knysna fire at Eden Festival of Action.
- Local trail runners make a difference by cleaning up the Faerie Glen Nature Reserve after heavy rains washed plastic debris through the reserve.
TRAIL magazine became South Africa’s first print publication dedicated to the booming worldwide activity of trail running in December 2011.
Since then the mag continues to enlighten its growing readership with the best places to run, the most suitable gear and the most popular trail running events from every angle; visiting the Himalayas, Sahara Desert, Amazon, and many local trails, including the famed Otter African Trail Run, Ultra-trail Cape Town, and the Salomon SkyRun.
Buy TRAIL print
TRAIL retails for R58 (print) and is available at CNA, SPAR, Pick n Pay, Exclusive Books, Sportsmans Warehouse, Outdoor Warehouse stores and specialist sports retailers nationwide.
Digital subscriptions available from Friday 22 June 2018.